[OSGeo-Standards] Re: WMS-C and handling of tiled=true? Indicating a Restriction or an Ability

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Aug 28 10:50:21 EDT 2008

Satoru Takagi wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> First of all, I had acted in the world different from the GIS culture
> that centered on OGC.
I think we all are like that :-)
> If anything, I belong to the world of SVG and Semantic Web of W3C.
> Moreover, I am in Japan. Therefore, I might have a sense different
> from people of the GIS community. And, I am continuing the design of
> the Web Mapping Platform architecture based on SVG.

With respect to making a "TileService" that is very simple and direct
(and desribes a static set of tiles) - this is a great idea and one I
believe is being worked on. My own introduction to the topic comes from
the WorldWind tile servers which also make use of a nice number
convention where row/col can be used to retrieve a tile.

In the meeting whereWMS-C was made we strongly considered a getTile(
row, col ) operation - at the time it was rejected in order to focus on
adding caching to existing WMS servers. If I read Mark's email it sounds
like the OGC is returning to this topic (and point of view).

But for today I need WMS-C to work; and I have to answer the question on
how to notice if a WMS-C is general purpose or not.  I can either keep
talking on this email list and hope that the implementors are taking part?
(are they?)

Or hunt down GWC and TileServer implementors and see if we can get this
one sorted out.

For reference here is what I will go shopping with:
- if the VendorSpecificParameters includes "tiled=true" as part of the
GetMap preamble - I will consider it mandatory - and the resulting WMSC
to be restricted to only tiled requests
- if it is not included - I will add it when I make the requests - but I
will feel free to make any general purpose GetMap request

Jody