[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [Aust-NZ] ESRI/Google indexing spatial data.Where is OGC?

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Tue May 27 10:41:18 EDT 2008

Bruce and others -

Being able to search the web for KML files is a good thing. However, this capability is only one piece of the solution to solving the discovery issues related to broader and more effective use of geospatial content on the geoweb.

In addition to the issues that you and others have identified, I also have a concern that there are multiple spatial indexing activities by individuals, companies, and even by standards organizations that are totally disjoint and not coordinated in any manner. Not the best way to solve the web spatial indexing and searching problem! I would also add that many of the suggested approaches do not provide consistent guidance on how to store, maintain, or even search "rich" geospatial metadata. Nor is imagery or sensor metadata really addressed.

Perhaps the role of the OGC is to provide the consensus environment to truly discuss and address this topic.

Regards

Carl