[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [Aust-NZ] ESRI/Google indexing spatial data.Where is OGC?

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue May 27 19:40:15 EDT 2008

IMO:

Jo,

> Cameron, your call for "standards" for web-based spatial data search
> would be well-placed if there were any available that had proven their
> worth, but I don't see that there is anything of proven worth yet -
> it is too early to tell which approaches are going to work.
> This does *not* seem like a problem that is proving tractable to
> upfront formalisation. I have *not* been able to persuade anyone to
> change their approach just through discussion. The OGC recommendations
> with CSW and the ISO standards for data and service metadata haven't
> demonstrated much widespread use or technical success yet.
> What's changing?

Have a look at: http://asdd.ga.gov.au/asdd/tech/zap/basic.html

Try searching for any type of data that takes your fancy.

The ASDD entry page will take this search and query a federated set of
other metadata catalogues.

This is an example of what can be done with current standards (also the
basis of those supported by CSW).

There used to be a similar entry page on the GSDI web site, but I can't
seem to find it this morning.

Bruce Bannerman

Notice:

contained in this email.