[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [Aust-NZ] ESRI/Google indexing spatial data.Where is OGC?

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Wed May 28 14:25:13 EDT 2008

Just to throw some more info into the discussion.

There is an OGC member (government) that is seriously investigating and
proposing as part of a SOA implementation the use of both OGC CSW and
OpenSearch. Using a design approach much as Farrukh Najmi proposed at the
December OGC Meetings in Stresa. The interesting twist is that they have
defined SOAP wrappers for using OpenSearch.

So, once again I am not in the "either-or" camp. Instead, there is
definitely a requirement for various approaches - including blended
approaches. And again my concern is that these activities - including
experimentation - be coordinated. Otherwise, we will have non-interoperable
competing specs!

One thing we are missing is a document that defines the various use cases.

Cheers

Carl