[OSGeo-Standards] Handling of resolution (or scale?) in WMSC

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Thu Sep 4 08:38:45 EDT 2008

Jody Garnett ha scritto:

> Thanks for the clarification (it is what Arne Kepp also told me). Looks
> like I am going to have to modify how panning works in uDig (so we can
> pan with constant resolution rather than with constant scale). I will
> bring it up at tomorrows uDig meeting and what they think...

If you look into the WMS standard you'll see that the even the scale
defined so that it's not dependent on the location, not even for
geographic data. I know it's cartographically wrong, but it helps
in simplifying the clients and the sld scale matching code, otherwise
close to scale that activates a hidden layer you'd have quite a jumpy
behaviour as you pan around.

The GeoTools streaming renderer can work with both scales, by default it
uses the cartographically correct one, but you can force it to use the
OGC WMS definition instead using a hint.

Cheers
Andrea