[OSGeo-Standards] Standard For Photo Descriptions?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Feb 4 13:39:05 EST 2009

As part of my "experimental" work with the Open Street Map project I
have been taking digital photos of features that I map. This includes
things like street signs, land marks, (and of course) streets. I've been
working this week on a way to describe these photos for future use.
Think of the photo descriptions as a type of metadata.

What I really want is to have photo descriptions that could be used in
combination with a digital photo of a feature by a user to attribute a
feature visible in the photo. Ideally the photo and the photo
description would allow attribution by a user that hadn't done the
mapping personally.

I'm wondering if there is an existing standard for digital photo
descriptions, especially photos of geospatial features taken during
field work.

I tinkered with an XML file format for this very purpose. I've attached
a zip file with two samples of the format. If there isn't an existing
standard for geospatial photo descriptions, I wonder if other OSGeo
members would be interested in working on one. I don't envision anything
grandiose like the standards put forth by the OGC. I'm thinking of
something much simpler, and practical. I'm really looking for a file
format that would allow us to share structured digital photo
descriptions among open source GIS applications.

My initial xml file contains the following sections:

-          Date and Time

-          Job/Project Identification

-          Photographer Info

-          Camera Info

-          Photo Direction

-          Photo Location

-          Photo Description

-          Visible Features List

-          Photo Limits List

Please let me know what you think. I copied the java-collaboration
mailing list on this message. If there is interest in this type of
standard, I would be willing to do some initial work on a Java API to
read/write the file format.

Landon

Warning: