[OSGeo-Standards] Re: Metadata Standards and ISO 19139

Scott Schwab scott.schwab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:51:52 EST 2009

The corporation I work for has had a few contracts with the US government,
and over the last couple of years these customers have been asking for
ISO19115/19139 metadata, replacing the request for FGDC.  The code to
generate the ISO 19139 documents is more complicated and the generated
output is much more verbose, compared to FGDC.  The ISO output is large
enough that you really need a tool like CatMDEdit to qc the output.

I have wondered if the customers are just saying they want the ISO 19115
format, not because of a need but just because an international standard
sounds better in contract negotiations,

And just for a bit of clarification, the ISO 19115 is an international
standard (140 pages), but it does not specify what the XML tags should
really look like.  To produce XML, you need the ISO 19139 technical
specification (112 pages). To my knowledge neither document is free.