[OSGeo-Standards] Re: Metadata Standards and ISO 19139

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 23 12:12:36 EST 2009

On Nov 23, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Scott Schwab wrote:
>> The corporation I work for has had a few contracts with the US
>> government, and over the last couple of years these customers have
>> been asking for ISO19115/19139 metadata, replacing the request for
>> FGDC.  The code to generate the ISO 19139 documents is more
>> complicated and the generated output is much more verbose, compared
>> to FGDC.  The ISO output is large enough that you really need a
>> tool like CatMDEdit to qc the output.
>> I have wondered if the customers are just saying they want the ISO
>> 19115 format, not because of a need but just because an
>> international standard sounds better in contract negotiations,
>> And just for a bit of clarification, the ISO 19115 is an
>> international standard (140 pages), but it does not specify what
>> the XML tags should really look like.  To produce XML, you need the
>> ISO 19139 technical specification (112 pages). To my knowledge
>> neither document is free.
>
> Remember that the "O" in OGC stands for Open[1]. Whatever ISO
> standard is part of an OGC standard means that relevant information
> is available royalty free on OGC websites (as it is stated in the
> OGC bylaws). For example here: http://schemas.opengis.net/iso/19139/
>
> This is one of reasons that they put up with the oftentimes onerous
> task of running specs through TC 211. Thanks OGC folks.

This is not entirely true. Take a look at http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/as
  and see "Topic 1 - Feature Geometry" (it says to go ISO). Also
"Topic 11 - Metadata" (clicking on it brings you to ISO).

	Allan