[OSGeo-Standards] Re: [Board] Open Source and Open Standards White Paper

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Apr 14 14:55:42 EDT 2011

Folks,
please be so kind and give this paper a moment of your attention:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Open_Source_and_Open_Standards

There is still a lot of confusion in people as to what an Open Standard
is and what Open Source is. Even within the educated community of OSGeo
there are very different positions wrt to standards and what an Open
Standards should be. It ranges from "standards suck and prevent
innovation" to "standards are the only way out of the misery of the data
silos".

The same is true to what the educated part of the OGC community thinks
about Open Source ranging from... well you know. No need to repeat here.

Therefore OGC and OSGeo are interested to find a common position on Open
standards and Open Source and if we don't disagree too badly this will
become a joint white paper. Please give it a pass and comment if you
think something is seriously wrong.

On 04/13/2011 09:42 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Seven (aka Arnulf)<seven at arnulf.us>  wrote:
>> Folks,
>> as discussed on IRC we have further developed the article on Open Source and
>> Open Standards:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Open_Source_and_Open_Standards
>>
>> It would be great if you could give it a pass
>
> I have done a few edits (see history).
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus,
anyone else from the board with comments? The page had 100 views in the
past two days and if no one else follows up with comments I consider
this to be generally accepted.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

PS:
I am sure that as soon as we publish it the usual die hards will start
to scream at the top of their lungs :-) but we can probably not do much
more than we did, can we?

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind
http://arnulf.us