[OSGeo-Standards] [RESTful-Policy.SWG] [OAB] Encodings and REST

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 09:22:29 PDT 2012

Pat,

I agree with you, that they way ESRI is doing it it the way it works.
But it's just not the way I'd like it to be.

Call me a whiner, a dreamer, naive or whatever. I believe in open
source, open development and open discussions. Creating the next cool
RESTful guidelines for the geospatial world should be open to anyone.

I'm well aware, that there might not be more contributions when the
RESTful Policy SWG work would be on a public mailing list, but at least
there would be a *chance* to.

The way the whole GeoServices REST API thing turns out makes me wonder
if the OGC is what I'm after. I like the idea of the OGC, but not how it
works in reality. Aren't there any alternatives? Why should the next
RESTful geo APIs be developed within the OGC? Is there a good reason?

In the end you can even try to get the specification you've worked on
through the OGC via the fast-track process. Just act as other vendors
and push your thing through.

Cheers,
  Volker