[OSGeo-Standards] [OAB] [RESTful-Policy.SWG] Encodings and REST - New conversation on standards organizations

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Tue Oct 23 09:01:16 PDT 2012

A few points of clarification.

First, the majority of standards organizations are membership based, either
at the national level or at the organizational level. ISO, the ITU and other
formal de-jure standards organizations have national memberships and
representatives. Nations financially support the standards organization.
Organizations such as the OGC, OASIS, W3C, Web3d, Kronos, and most other
voluntary standards organizations are membership based utilizing a very
similar membership financial model as the OGC. I collaborate in standards
work in about a dozen other SDOs. The IETF is the only SDO of those dozen
that does not require membership dues. That said, the IETF is supported by
(high) registration fees at meetings and from funding from the Internet
Society. The IETF is a subgroup of the Internet Society. The Internet
Society provides the necessary financial support for various IETF, IAB, and
IESG activities. The Internet Society is funded by organization memberships.
Regardless of SDO type, typically participant travel and volunteer time is
paid for by their employer.

Second, based on suggestions from groups such as OSGeo, the OGC is actually
much more transparent than in years past. For example:

1. More and more Domain Working Groups are open to non-OGC Member
participation. Important because many use cases, requirements, and best
practices for OGC standards are defined in DWGs.
2. OGC Interoperability Experiments allow for non-OGC Member participation -
as long as the non-Member agrees to the OGC IPR terms. Important because
increasingly, OGC standards are defined and tested in a domain specific
experiments.
3. The formation of all new standards working groups is now publicly
announced and non-Members can comment on the charter for the SWG
4. There has always been the 30 day public comment period for a candidate
standard - although we need to get the message out better.
5. The is the public change request application. Anyone can submit a change
request.
6. If invited, non-Members can attend OGC face to face meetings. Any working
Group chair can invite a non-Member to attend.
7. The OGC allows invited experts to participate in standards work. We have
done this with several standards, such as GeoXACML. This is a SWG decision.
8. OGCNetwork is a public resource.
9. Any organization can respond to a test bed call for participation. You do
not need to be an OGC Member to submit a proposal in response to a formal
call for participation
10. A Standards Working Group can vote at any time to release a candidate
standard for public access. We have done this in many cases, usually to
share an in progress document with another standards organization. For
example, at the request of the W3C, we shared GeoSPARQL with the W3C
community well before the public comment period. Again, however, the
document sharing is under the terms of mutual agreement in which each
organizations' IPR policy is respected.

So, following up on the last point, I believe that OSGeo can request the OGC
share an in-progress candidate standard for OSGeo internal
review/comment/experimentation. This would require a formal request to me as
OGC Technical Committee Chair and then formal approval by the SWG voting
members. Of course, the OSGeo community, as per the OGC-OSGeo MoU would need
to respect the OGC IPR policy terms and conditions. And of course the SWG
could vote no if they felt that the candidate standard too immature to
share.

Comments welcome! And of course, communication can always improve!

Regards

Carl