[OSGeo-Standards] [Live-demo] FYI: New OGC Standards Activity: Candidate GeoPackage Standard

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 25 14:28:35 PDT 2012

Cameron,

For what it's worth, from a very brief review it seems like GeoPackages are
data packages containing primarily SQLite/Spatialite databases for vectors
and MBTiles format for raster/map tiles.  I don't initially see it having
any relationship to software packaging.

I'm going to poke around a bit and try to establish if any work in GDAL
would help with compatability.  It might be interesting to package some of
the OSGeo Live dataset(s) as GeoPackages at some point.

(I must stress my vague understanding is based on a very cursory review of
OGC docs, email, etc)

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com