[OSGeo-Standards] OGC membership policies

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu Sep 13 10:38:43 PDT 2012

Michael,
thanks for separating out this part, makes a lot of sense. But as I
said in another mail I am hesitant to replicate the information
maintained by the OGC on our Wiki because it will eventually diverge
as the OGC evolves it's policy. Just linking to the OGC page should do
the trick.

And I do actually expect people to read through and understand the OGC
side of things (which may well not coincide with how OSGeo does
things, another reason to not put it on our Web. This is paranoid fine
print reading but hey, thats what we are here for... :-). Folks
wanting to join the OGC are obliged to undertand and sign the policies
and rules anyway becasue they are entering a regular contractual
relationship - with just the fees waived. We are in no way different
to any other OCG member. We also have to understand which information
from within a Standards Work Group is public and in which cases they
cannot blog and tweet about it right away.

If there is trouble with "understanding" any of this (which is
absolutely OK when it comes to patents and NDAs) then people can ask
the committe (us), OGC, or hop on the list to rant a bit.

If you agree I would go flesh out this new page tomorrow and just
leave the bare bones process required on our side.

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 09/13/2012 05:38 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> All: please see http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_membership
>
> Dimitris, does that make things clearer for you?
>
> Anyone: can someone provide a *short* set of bullet points
> summarizing the IPR policies to include on the page?
>
> -mpg
>

> On Sep 13, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Arnulf (and standards lurkers):
>>
>> I think we need to make a new wiki page which captures just the
>> process at the bottom of the "memorandum" wiki page -- as it
>> stands, the page is a bit opaque.
>>
>> I'll take a stab at it now.
>>
>> -mpg

- --