[OSGeo-Standards] [Pc] [Tc] GeoServices REST API vote to restart

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Mon Apr 29 01:31:46 PDT 2013

> Haven't seen you at OGC meetings in a while; perhaps you missed a couple of things:

No, I'm pretty much up-to-date, thanks.

> 1. a few years back OGC TC and PC members established policies and procedures where by existing technology, like the GeoServices
> REST API, which is providing thousands of services millions of times a day can become OGC intellectual property. That way a
> standards working group could, for example, add a GeoJSON format (which you "did NOT want in OGC" - I guess not in the
> OGC "tent").

"Can" is the keyword in your opening sentence. I'm fairly sure that that does not mean that the membership has to accept whatever medicine a SWG decides to dish out.

Your volume of use argument is irrelevant. The most popular newspaper here in the UK is Rupert Murdoch's "The Sun". Personally I wouldn't use it to wipe shit off my shoe, but plenty of people seem to like it.

> 2. we aren't suppose to use these lists for blasting opinions.

Well the OAB is not supposed to ride roughshod over the TC voting process either; but it has. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd rather the TC realised what was going on under their nose - that their No votes are now deemed worthless by the OAB - than maintain list etiquette.

Regards,
Martin