[OSGeo-Standards] An idea about a compressed binary geometry format

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Mon Aug 19 14:31:29 PDT 2013

And available on the OGC website.

Cheers

Carl

From: Cameron Shorter
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 3:21 PM
To: standards at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Standards] An idea about a compressed binary geometry format

Hi Nicklas,
You might want to look into Binary XML, which I understand was being investigated for GML at one point - apparently into a white paper according to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_XML

On 20/08/13 06:27, Nicklas Avén wrote:

Hallo

I do not know if this list is the right place so that will be my first
question.

I have a naive idea about a compressed binary format for geometries.

I have done some work to sketch what it is about.

The name so far is TWKB (Tiny WKB)

Can this list be the right place to discuss this format. It is just an
embryo, and my hope is that it can be something designed by and hard
connected to the FOSS4G-community.

What is done is:

A draft of a spec:
https://github.com/nicklasaven/TWKB/blob/master/twkb.md

including ideas from Evan Rouault and Oliver Tonnhofer

Demos:
Streaming TWKB from PostGIS to Leaflet via websocket.
http://178.79.156.122/twkb_node/

Streaming TWKB-aggregates (tiles created on the fly) from PostGIS to
Leaflet
http://178.79.156.122/twkb_agg

A page to compare twkb in timing and size with geoJSON directly from
PostGIS.
http://178.79.156.122/twkb_test

Examples of implementation.
The PostGIS part is in the trunk:
http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/trunk/

The client parts is exemplified here:
https://github.com/nicklasaven/twkb_web

So, first, can this list host discussions about TWKB (or whatever name
it gets)?
If not where should it go?

Second, any feedback is very welcome

Best Regards