[OSGeo-Standards] An idea about a compressed binary geometry format [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Aug 20 17:19:30 PDT 2013

An emerging trend is for federated data services that support a common logical data model for the domain in question.

This is typically done via GML Application Schema. Some examples are GeoSciML, WaterML, AvXML etc.

In many cases, no one organisation can manage and support data required, particularly for regional / global analysis.

We are finding that source data is maintained by many organisations in differing native formats, data structures/models, semantic representations etc.

Currently there is considerable time wasted in processing data from many organisations to get it in a form that is suitable for analysis.

The GML Application Schema approach helps to overcome this issue to a large extent, with data providers mapping their internal data to an agreed logical data model.

A binary format that supports this concept may be useful.

Bruce