[OSGeo-Standards] An idea about a compressed binary geometry format [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Wed Aug 21 15:15:13 PDT 2013

From: Bruce Bannerman
Sent: Thursday, 22 August 2013 8:13 AM
To: nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Subject: RE: [OSGeo-Standards] An idea about a compressed binary geometry format [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Niklas.

I'm sure that there will be a range of potential use cases, including:

- I just want to produce a pretty picture (map) for my web page.

- I want the data in a consistent format, so that I can do some serious spatial analysis to help understand an issue, and communicate the results of that analysis via an appropriate medium (map, table, graph etc).

I tend to fall into the second camp, but understand that there is a need for the first as well.

Bruce