[OSGeo-Standards] WMTS and TMS opposing grid origins (top-left vs bottom-left)

Jason Lee jaslee.st at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 02:06:34 PST 2013

Hi,
I've set up some map tiles in a non-Web Mercator projection and have
rendered them with tile numbering starting in the bottom-left - just like
that in the TMS format and suitable custom scales (NOT half on each
successive zoom level).

I've be able to successfully consume the tiles in an OpenLayers
client..However, I've been looking at how we can bring these tiles into
ArcGIS desktop via WMTS and I see that this OGC standard assumes a grid
origin starting at the top-left - is that right? ...my tiles are mixed up
when attempting to consume them in ArcGIS.

Why does WMTS have tile number origin at the top-left when the previous TMS
started in bottom-left? Is there syntax in WMTS to make it start in
bottom-left like in TMS?

Thanks

Jason