[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] Live DVD and OGC standards

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:49:14 PDT 2013

On Jul 8, 2013, at 5:42 PM, Allan Doyle <afdoyle at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Also at the time, another objection I had was that OGC was either in the process or had already handed off some number of specs to ISO where they are now available under ISO copyright for a fee. I think this included things like the Simple Features abstract spec (now ISO 19107) and the metadata model (now ISO 19115). The very fact that OGC was willing to take the hard work of the members and hand it to ISO where it would be sold was quite a sore point with me.

Thanks for the valuable history lesson. I had no idea (perhaps many of us had no idea).

Why can't standards just be community-owned? As much as I am for the Public Domain in almost every case, this is one of those cases where something like CC BY-SA makes perfect sense. Anyone can modify, but the modification would have to be released under the same license.

--
Puneet Kishor
Policy Coordinator for Science and Data