[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Jul 9 14:38:28 PDT 2013

Raj,

>  the only practical way to access them is through a query API, not hypermedia, and how RESTful is that?

*You* don't have to specify a query api, just a format with appropriate link relations.  It's the service implementer's job to figure out how to return (a page of) features.  It's the clients job to pull the feed by following typed links (i.e. 'rel=next').  If *you* try to figure out how to satisfy (all) requests, you're doing the server implementer's job.  Why should you care what the URL looks like?

> Imagery: hardest (IMHO). What are good resources?

Tiles?  Why shouldn't a resource be a tile and the representation be a (GeoTiff, whatever)?  As you say, it's the same problem as features.  You request a *resource* in a *format* (aka media type), the server returns a representation, hopefully in that format.

Cheers,
Peter