[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 10 08:21:59 PDT 2013

Peter,

> excellent point - no need to care about syntax, about making
> URLs RESTful, or WhateverFul.

There is no such thing as a RESTful URL.  There are just URLs,
and it is a service implementer's job to define those to be served.

Specifying URL structure in documents is not REST, not at all.
It may be good server documentation, perhaps.

I don't know what to call it, but it shouldn't be called REST.  Maybe RPC.
Calling it REST mis-informs the reader as to what REST is, and just creates
blocks in discussions of this nature.

> The interesting question starts exactly where REST stops: how
> can I get what I need?
> Discussing service functionality is so much more exciting.

I don't see the disconnect between REST and data services, personally.

Regards,
Peter