[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Raj Singh rsingh at opengeospatial.org
Thu Jul 11 10:37:47 PDT 2013

Thanks for raising the discussion above the coding level. You mention the tension between a graph-oriented model of information and a multi-dimensional array. Let me add another "dimension" to the theoretical discussion. I think the biggest problem I have with designing RESTful resources around coverage data is the fact that most coverages represent natural phenomena that vary continuously across the earth's surface (or atmosphere, or sub-surface). This means that the actual cell values are only approximations of what is expected to be observed in nature. This is why I have a hard time calling anything a resource other than the full coverage.

In contrast to coverages, I think features and sensor observations (a specialized type of feature) should be much easier. The resource is the feature. But the million dollar question is, what are the appropriate links between features? I think Peter Rushforth is saying don't worry about it -- let each service implementer design their own link structure. To that I say, maybe so, but show me some good strategies and maybe we can design some common best practices from there...

---
Raj
The OGC: Making location count.
http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/organization/staff/rsingh