[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Rushforth, Peter Peter.Rushforth at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Jul 11 11:39:54 PDT 2013

> > Can a coverage be tiled?  Can you reproduce a coverage data
> structure
> > by re-assembling tiles?
>
> This is exactly the problem. I think coverage loses meaning
> when it's tiled. It's like graphing a wavelength equation,
> then snipping out a part of the graph, then trying to
> recreate the original equation with only that part of the
> graph. There will probably be many equations that fit the
> graph. I suppose you could avoid this problem with coverages
> by maintaining, e.g., something like a "link=source" to the
> original coverage in the tile data. But I also don't have the
> professional background in the sciences that use coverages to
> know if this would be useful.

So the answer is: no a coverage can't be tiled?  Not _every_ coverage, mind
you, just ones we might want to standardize on a GeoWeb.

> No problem with anything you say here. Actually I
> emphatically agree the only problem is figuring out those
> pesky link relations!

On the web there aren't that many of them actually.  Geographically,
we would probably need: east,west,north,south,northeast,northwest,southeast,southwest
and (not to try your patience) zoomout and zoomin.

But there is a standard link relations registry that was started with
RFC 5988 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.2.2  but new
format registrations can register their own.

Cheers,
Peter