[OSGeo-Standards] link relations for features

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Thu Jul 11 12:17:47 PDT 2013

This is a really good conversation. This discussion got me thinking about
time and time series data - really important in many geo-domains. So I did a
bit of searching. There are numerous RESTful APIs out there (open source,
commercial open source, commercial) for time series data. So I looked more
closely. Each API was different, used their own ID system for a time series,
different metadata, different this and that, and each with their own data
store. Nothing interoperable there!

Which is why this discussion is good. My sense is that everyone/organization
is developing their own RESTful APIs for their stacks. A bunch of silos.
>From a standards perspective, them, we do need standard relations, keywords,
query patterns, and so forth. This gets back to defining best practices for
defining consistent and harmonized geo REST APIs. Along the lines that Peter
B and the WCS SWG has been doing for coverages.

Cheers

Carl