[OSGeo-Standards] Was: "file" formats. Is: GeoWeb

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 14:01:55 PDT 2013

Hi Carl

I apologize of sometimes being rude especially about OGC spec. I
accept OGC's role in standardization. To me this means high
responsibility and therefore I'm having high expectations about the
quality of the process and the output.

2013/7/12 Carl Reed <creed at opengeospatial.org>:
> Interesting comment "WMTS is not RESTful yet because of other reasons".
> There is a presentation on the OGC website that documents Why WMTS is
> RESTful. This presentation was provided as part of the approval process for
> WMTS.

I did'nt find the presentation. Can you give me a link?

To backup my opinion that most OGC WxS aren't really fully RESTful I'd
like to point to the REST anti-patterns [1].
AFAIK most WxS including "WMTS using HTTP KVP encoding" (chap. 8) [2]
use anti-pattern 1 and 2 ("Tunneling everything through GET and
POST").
And WMTS is "overengineered" among others because it requires that "A
WMTS client SHOULD support both KVP and RESTful" (chap. 11.1).

Yours, Stefan

[1] http://www.infoq.com/articles/rest-anti-patterns
[2] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wmts