[OSGeo-Standards] OGC liaison memberships

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 05:48:44 PDT 2013

On 6/1/13 8:15 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I'm moving this email thread from discuss at lists.osgeo.org to
> standards at lists.osgeo.org.

Okay, Hello everyone,

> Adrian,
> It is a good idea for OSGeo members have the opportunity to participate
> in OGC activities, and have a voice to air OSGeo opinions and concerns.

Yes, that was the purpose of the Memorandum of Understanding.

> I think that we are already reasonably close to having that goal.
> * OSGeo members can get access to OGC through the 5 OGC membership slots
> on offer [1].
> * OGC did disseminate OSGeo's "Open Letter re Geoservices REST API".

Okay, so we agree the goal of 'having an opportunity to participate' has
been met.

> What is missing is an opportunity to share OGC information with the
> general public, which in turn would give the general public the
> opportunity to comment and provide feedback. (This is a general OGC
> issue to address, as the OGC use "access to OGC" as a means to attract
> funded members).

Right, it is an OGC problem. It also arose from ancient Imaginary
Property concerns from the early participants who wanted re-assurance
about the consequences of their participation in the discussions. Given
the past decade long history where none of that has been an issue,
perhaps that concern can now be put to rest. I have been pushing the OGC
on this for a few years now.

> Currently OSGeo doesn't have a vote at the OGC, which is something we
> might want to ask for. If we are to ask for a vote from OGC, we would
> need to be confident that we would have volunteers with sufficient time
> to review the material required to vote. Such reviewing will take quite
> a bit of time, but if we have volunteers willing to do the work, I think
> we have a good case to ask for such a vote.

That is a good point, that we might want to do preparation on our side.
Because the volume of work is such that *no one* actually reads all the
standards (probably not even the OGC Architecture Board), OGC policy
usually proceeds by objection. So our work might be limited to informing
OSGeo about upcoming votes and asking for any reactions. The absence of
reactions is indication of the lack of opposition.

> With regards to developing standards, I think it valuable for OSGeo
> members to be involved in standards development, but that already
> happens. (OSGeo members take part in OGC testbeds, using OGC processes).
> I don't think it appropriate for OSGeo to develop standards outside of
> the OGC.

Why not? There are lots of cases for it. For example, the 'Shapefile'
standard has never been published. I feel it is entirely appropriate for
the collective wisdom of free software implementations to come up with
the 'Openshape Fileset Standard' which completes the published ESRI spec
to have a full specification. The expertise on this is just as much here
as at the OGC. Similarly, GeoPNG seems like a better fit here than at
the OGC.

That is not to say that these standards must live here forever. They
might well then be taken over by the OGC just like some OGC Standards
are republished as ISO standadards.

> I suggest the way to move forward is for OSGeo to propose a process,
> which is approved at the next board meeting on 6 June, and which the
> board forwards onto OGC.

A process for what?

> Adrian, I suggest you start by putting together such a proposal which we
> can refine, then include at [1].

A proposal for what?

The only work I want to do right now on this front is

(1) get a membership (either paid by me or one of the OSGeo memberships)
and start writing up trimesterly 'updates on the OGC' for the OSGeo
membership, and

(2) write up 'GeoPNG' ('GeoTIFF' like extensions for PNG) and the
'Openshape Fileset Standard' (which finally completes the Shapefile
standard for all the implementation details, and may standardize index
files).

When those are written, I hope to canvas the OSGeo membership for
feedback, analysis, and enthusiasm. If no one cares, then they will not
live here, and may become addenda to the WMS 2.0 standards. If OSGeo
folk like them and want to implement them, then they can live here.
GeoPNG is my own creation, Openshape however arises from the collective
experience here (cough Frank cough) and so makes the most sense as
living at OSGeo.

The only question right now is where the drafts live. Once they take
concrete form, they will live on a family server, pocz.org. If OSGeo
wants, they could move to the OSGeo space. The latter would give extra
weight to OSGeo, the former is totally neutral. The only hiccup is that
the drafts are written in HTML not in .doc (OGC style) or in wiki (OSGeo
style); I don't know where html can live at OSGeo.

~adrian

PS. We are waiting for arnulf who seems to be on one of his 'retreats
from the Internet' right now; he'll re-appear, bye and bye.