[OSGeo-Standards] OGC liaison memberships

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jun 3 06:47:36 PDT 2013

Hi Arnulf,

As an "associate" OGC member, I can tell you that I do not feel any more
connected to the OGC as an associate member (I believe by default the
only change is that I am automatically added to the TC-Discuss mailing
list).  As you know, to feel a part of a community it is important to
meet face-to-face with that community at least once a year (example:
Carl sent out the recent OSGeo open letter referring me by the wrong
name, "Jack McKenna" - sorry Carl, I wasn't offended, but I'm just using
this as an example).

My point is that, what I would like to see, is the OSGeo Foundation
supporting one member of our "Standards Committee" (doesn't exist yet I
know) to attend an OGC meeting, at least once per year.

I know, you yourself funded your trips to OGC events for many years,
but, others like myself cannot afford to do this.  I'd like to make sure
we become active in the OGC, and, from my experience, it really starts
with face-to-face.

Or, as in the recent OGC/OSGeo Board meeting suggestion on the OSGeo
Board list, maybe we plan to have the OGC Board and OSGeo Board meet
once a year, at a closed "Standards Summit" between the 2 Boards.

My point is, having these associate memberships is a start, but we need
more to feel connected with the OGC.  Yes, a vote sure helps feel
connected, but if we can't/shouldn't have that, then let's get people
face-to-face and talk and learn and share and grow.

-jeff