[OSGeo-Standards] [gdal-dev] Idea: GeoTIFF box in JPEG to addgeoreferencing

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Wed May 21 07:20:50 PDT 2014

Hi Emmanuel,

my fault, the curse of shorthand...expanding a little:

- GMLCOV gives a format-independent coverage model, with an increasing number of
mappings from/to concrete formats getting available. As there is a formal
dependency of GMLJP2 on GMLCOV both best should be adopted in sync.

Characterizing GMLCOV as a 19123 implementation standard makes a lot of sense -
19123 is abstract, and many non-interoperable implementations can be (and have
been) done. GMLCOV is based on the 19123 concepts and refines them to an
interoperable data model which is conformance-testable down to single pixel level.

- WCS indeed is a separate issue (GMLCOV is built in a way that many services
can be used, while WCS just happens to be the one with the most
coverage-specific functionality). Makeing WCS an ISO standard actually has been
suggested to me independently from this thread & earlier, by several people.

As WCS likewise is based on 19123 (here the functional part comes in) IMHO it
would indeed make sense to have both data and service model standardized in the
realm of TC211.

Although having been pushed I have not undertaken any steps in this direction
until now, partly due to resource issues and partly as I am not familiar with
TC211 procedures. I will try to join TC211 telcos so that we jointly can clarify
issues.

cheers,
Peter