[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 21:28:32 PDT 2015

Hello Cameron,

This is the very first time (since LASzip's LGPL release in late 2010) that
someone brings a possible issue with a license incompatibility between LGPL
and FastAC to our attention. You can rest assured that this was absolutely
*NOT* ESRI's reason for creating the closed "LAZ clone" ...

In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if the ESRI implementation
is also based on that very same FastAC code,  given the nearly identical
performance of LAZ and zLAS and the lack of other similar efficient
artithmetic coding implementations ...

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso