[OSGeo-Standards] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 04:52:43 PDT 2015

Hi OSGeo Board,

I request the board support an OSGeo Community developed Open Letter
aimed at protecting open LiDAR standards.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter

Proposal 1: The OSGeo Board agree to include the following statement (or
similar wording) into the letter:

= Cover Letter from the OSGeo Board =

The board of the [http://osgeo.org Open Source Geospatial Foundation]
(OSGeo) is presenting this letter to the OGC, ESRI and ASPRS. The letter
highlights concerns about fragmentation in LiDAR standards from many
people within the OSGeo community. As always, if there is anything the
OSGeo board can do to help, then please let us know.

Signed: <OSGeo Board Members>

Proposal 2:
Once the letter has completed the signature phase, the letter be emailed
from the OSGeo President to key people within these organisations:

Mark Reichardt <mreichardt AT opengeospatial.org>, OSGeo President
David Danko <DDanko AT esri.com>, ESRI's Senior Consultant for GIS Standards
Stephen D. DeGloria < sdd4 AT cornell.edu>, President of the ASPRS