[OSGeo-Standards] [OSGeo-Discuss] [Ica-osgeo-labs] [TC-Discuss] Open Letter for the need for Open Standards in LiDAR

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 18:25:35 PDT 2015

Hello,

ESRI's github repository contain *no* source code, except a sample *.cpp
file to show how to use their (Windows-only) binary dll and/or lib files.
This is *not* open source in any sense of the word but an unusal of the
Apache license. Below I quote someone whom I've dicussed this with:

It is allowed to use Apache License for binary-only software, but that is
extremely rare that anyone does that, because it goes against the whole
idea of "Open Source". It is only possible because Apache License is a
so-called "permissive" license, whereas GPL, CDDL and other "copyleft"
licenses will not allow such "source-less Open Source" non-sense:

See this section of the FAQ on the OSI site (Open Source Initiative):
http://opensource.org/faq#non-distribution

Also this Apache Foundation FAQ:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#WhatDoesItMEAN
"[the Apache license] *does not require* you to include the source of the
[..] software itself"

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso