[OSGeo-Standards] OGC Documentation and OSGeo Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 00:21:33 PST 2015

Hi Scott,
Thanks for providing some hints at what is coming.
Are you in a position yet to share plans about your schedule and at what
point you would be looking for feedback?

Warm regards, Cameron

On 1/12/2015 12:27 pm, Scott Simmons wrote:
> [...]
> are happy to discuss at a later stage how we might coordinate as our
> process matures. In the meantime, we encourage OSGeo and all our
> partners to provide feedback to us as we release these new formats.
>
> Good seeing you last night.
>
> Best Regards,
> Scott
>
> Scott Simmons
> Executive Director, Standards Program
> Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
> tel +1 970 682 1922
> mob +1 970 214 9467
> ssimmons at opengeospatial.org <mailto:ssimmons at opengeospatial.org>
>
> The OGC: Making Location Count…
> www.opengeospatial.org <http://www.opengeospatial.org>
>

>> On Nov 30, 2015, at 4:08 AM, Cameron Shorter
>> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> The OGC Technical Committee technical meeting started today, and I
>> had the great pleasure in meeting many people face-to-face, whom I
>> previously only knew by email address, as well as catch up with many
>> I hadn't seen for years.
>>
>> Of relevance to this thread was that Scott Simmons presented on his
>> hopes to make OGC standards much more readable and usable.
>>
>> Scott,
>> As mentioned, I'm keen to see the OGC documentation to dove-tail with
>> OSGeo-Live documentation.
>> In particular, I suggest that the OGC might want to consider using a
>> similar development process to OSGeo-Live, writing a template, then
>> inviting the community to help write the documentation, then applying
>> a review cycle, then offering the docs to be translated.
>>
>> Community building process is described here:
>> http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html
>>
>> Our documentation writing process is here:
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Documentation
>>
>> Docs here:
>> http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html
>>
>> Presentation:
>> http://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html#/
>>
>> We are in the process of defining what will be included for
>> OSGeo-Live 9.5.
>> Maybe for this release we can aim to get one exemplar standard
>> written up, possibly more, which can then be reviewed and refined for
>> future releases, and used as a template for other standards.
>>
>> Warm regards,
>> Cameron Shorter
>>
>> On 23/11/2015 6:18 am, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> We are starting the build cycle for version 9.5 of the OSGeo-Live
>>> [1] DVD/USB/VM which will be released in March 2016, ready for
>>> several special events, including FOSS4G-NA, FOSSGIS (Salzburg,
>>> Austria), among others.
>>>
>>> We would like to hear from anyone wishing to add new projects to
>>> OSGeo-Live, anyone wishing to extend or add translations, or anyone
>>> who has ideas on how we should shape the upcoming release.
>>>
>>> Key Milestones
>>> 11 Jan 2016 All new applications installed, most old applications
>>> updated
>>> 01 Feb 2016 Feature Freeze (all apps updated)
>>> 15 Feb 2016 User Acceptance Test (all apps installed and working)