[OSGeo-Standards] Q4 2015 REPORT: my OGC membership slot

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 04:41:51 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Martin Isenburg
<martin.isenburg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the contrary. Just a few days ago ESRI has released a new tool that
> converts compressed LiDAR from the open LAZ format to their closed zLAS
> format. An (intentionally funny) blog post on this "awakening of the dArc
> Force" with a few more details is available on my personal company web pages
> here:
>
> http://rapidlasso.com/2015/12/19/the-darc-force-awakens-esri-escalates-lidar-format-war/

Martin,

I don't think it is smart and productive to attack ESRI in such ways
if you really want to build a common standard. I would not want to
collaborate with someone who has consistently been blaming me in
different ways. If people only know you as the person who is always
bashing others, they are unlikely to work with you and in fact
reactions such as the one in lidar magazine [1]  are becoming more
likely.

I think it is more productive to focus on the strong points of your
own standard, and improving where necessary.

> I plan to use my OGC slot to point out this new development that suggests
> that ESRI has no interest in finding a timely solution to avoid format
> fragmentation. I therefore request for my OGC slot to be extended for
> another six months.

I'm pro, but I think you can achieve more by following my advices
above. Anyway, I'm just one voice.

Kind Regards,
Johan
[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Lidar-News-magazine-false-statements-on-L-GPL-Was-REPORT-my-OGC-membership-slot-td5225174.html