[OSGeo-Standards] OGC XML schemas and FOSS4G software distribution

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Feb 6 09:07:16 PST 2015

Le vendredi 06 février 2015 17:43:02, Tom Kralidis a écrit :
> Hi all: great blogpost by Jody at
> http://www.how2map.com/2015/02/a-good-test-for-ogc-and-osgeo.html,
> inspired by IRC discussion around pycsw OSGeo Incubation.
>
> In a nutshell, pycsw inclusion in DebianGIS had issues given the fact
> that we have the OGC Schemas baked in the codebase as part of the
> install.
>
> In the pycsw case we use the schemas in realtime when validating
> requests.  This is a huge benefit because we let (in this case
> lxml->libxml2) do the validation instead of implementing this
> ourselves.
>
> At the same time, getting onto DebianGIS is of value for packaging and
> distribution.
>
> How do other packages deal with this?  Are there options for bundling
> the OGC schemas outside of the codebase?  Is there opportunity to
> clarify the ambiguities?

Tom,

A workaround would be to download the schemas the first time they are needed,
but this doesn't always work for people cut off from the internet or behind a
firewall.

A potential suggestion for OGC: they could add the right to modify their
documents, with a clause similar to the one found in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib_License

"""
2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.
"""

Even

http://www.spatialys.com