[OSGeo-Standards] OGC XML schemas and FOSS4G softwaredistribution

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:05:08 PST 2015

Added a take to the wiki page
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_XML_Schemas_and_FOSS4G_Software_Distribution>.
Would love to have feedback from from Bas to see if the result would get
past the Debian guidelines.

*Schemas (and DTDs) are frequently part of our specifications and seemingly
fall under the*
*document copyright terms.*

*Applications may use the schema/DTD for under the software license. We ask
that care be taken*
*when making a derivative or modified schema/DTD to preserve
interoperability.*

*As an example a schema/DTD used for internal validation may be modified to
validate additional*
*optional vendor options without affecting interoperability. This has no
impact on interoperability*
*between applications and the resulting schema/DTD remains embedded in the
application.*

*If publishing a modified schema/DTD it no longer qualifies as an OGC
schema/DTD and we ask*
*that a unique formal namespace or public identifier be used to prevent
application confusion.*
*This request is based on the restrictions of XML technology rather than a
license restriction.*

*When using the software terms you are obligated to include/retain the OGC
copyright notice. We*
*further appreciate a couple sentences regarding who made the
modifications, when, and what*
*changes were made in the original DTD -- a common software documentation
practice.*

I have sympathy with the OGC here as there is a technical restrictions in
play here, rather than just a license restrictions. XML parsers having
obtained a schema once (from any source) are not obliged to download it
again from an application (which may of performed modifications).
--
Jody

--
Jody Garnett