[OSGeo-Standards] CSV spatial data on the web

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 02:31:09 PST 2016

Hi Jeremy

> However looking at the GeoCSV specification it would be a step
> backwards for our users due to the field delimiter being semicolon.

Semicolon is well supported in software.
Tab is poorly supported in some text editors.
Comma is heavy used in number values in european countries.
What delimiter do you prefer and why?

> We also advertise the geometry datatype (useful for software quickly
> reading the data field metadata), field lengths/widths in the VRT,

That's covered by CSVT, isn't it?

> and have datasets with legitimate carriage returns within fields.

Allowing non-printable control-characters in strings makes it very
complicated and disables mainly all existing CSV software.
carriage returns is one of the few undisputed end-of-line things in
CSV (besides CR, LF, CR/LF differences).
Markup to the rescue.
What do you prefer?

:Stefan

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180