[OSGeo-Standards] Web Feature Service (WFS) and Axis Order

Carl Reed carl.n.reed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 09:10:20 PDT 2016

Andrea -

Thank you for the well considered response. I appreciate your observations
related to implementation ambiguities, such as in cascading WFS instances
and axis order variations.

Please note that I was not suggesting that GeoServer be changed. I
completely understand that there is a very large community of GeoServer
users/developers. As such making changes to the GeoServer WFS 1.1.0 does
not make sense. I completely agree with you. Just to be clear, the WFS axis
order requirements did not change until version 1.1.1 (WFS Corrigendum). As
1.1.1 was never published, there are no CITE tests or reference
implementations - or implementations for that matter! My intent was to
provide historical context and relevant information related to the
evolution of axis order and the WFS standard.

However, I am a bit confused by the use of urn:x-ogc usage. The official
OGC urn policy and IETF RFC were approved and published in 2008:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5165 . Further, the official WFS 1.1.0
reference implementations (see below) do not use the x-ogc syntax.

Reference implementations for WFS 1.1.0
lat/lon:       urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326
interactive instruments: urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326

I suspect - as you suggest - that both the CITE and GeoServer WFS 1.1.0
implementation decisions were impacted by the OGC policy transition related
to the concurrent approval of the official OGC urn policy and by the
IETF/IESG.

I agree that if the WFS 1.1.0 CITE tests are still using the x-ogc syntax
that this is a "leftover". Perhaps Luis Bermudez should be involved in this
discussion?

As to your observation, "Humble suggestion, for the future specifications,
try to avoid changing the syntax whenever possible, and focus on adding
extra functionality instead."

This may seem strange as I facilitated the OGC standards program for many
years but I agree with you :-) I designed and developed software for many
more years than I did standards work so I completely understand your
recommendation. But understand that facilitating the process meant not
dictating to the members - I could suggest but not mandate.

Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Regards

Carl

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Andrea Aime <andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Carl Reed <carl.n.reed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> WFS 1.1.0 specified several notations for defining the CRS: EPSG:XXXX,
>> http://www.opengis.net/gml/src/epsg.xml#XXXX
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.opengis.net_gml_src_epsg.xml-23XXXX&d=DQMFaQ&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=LCXhcrMdvdcRNz8NUgOEV1cYOakNFpC9sSTsSszC0Kc&m=HY5mDJJy4-L8dvfBgWuyrG9fxDiNEyFRZNZCetAE2kY&s=vcSZ-tEvudUXHYfE6HX2WUCkg5qjM9X5ULCLBSADUkw&e=>,
>> urn:EPSG:geographicCRS:XXXX.  The EPSG:XXXX notation was maintained for
>> backward compatibility with WFS 1.1. As such, a WFS implementation instance
>> would behave as it did in WFS 1.0.0 (i.e. LON/LAT for EPSG:4326, undefined
>> otherwise).
>>

> This indeed sort of what GeoServer implements in WFS 1.1.0, except that
> all WFS 1.0 SRS syntaxes produce a lon/lat order, so if you expect
> http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#4326 to produce lat/lon in WFS
> 1.1 then we have a problem, because the current implementation has been
> like that for 8+ years and there is a lot of applications relying on it to
> force the outputs in lon/lat order despite using WFS 1.1.
> The opposite axis order is the standard, I know, but it never became
> popular among the GeoServer user base, and I'd venture to say, in all OSGeo
> projects in general... GeoServer own WFS cascading support has one
> configuration flag allowing the admin to specify if the cascaded server is
> using lat/lon or lon/lat axis order in its responses, and a separate one to
> specify if the server wants spatial filters to be specified in lat/lon or
> lon/lat order, because we have found at least 3 out of 4 of those
> variations in the wild (yes, servers that do return lat/lon but that
> require lon/lat in filters).
>
> The http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#xxxx notation order in WFS
> 1.1.0 is not something we can just "fix" 8 years down the road, the change
> would break too many existing clients (see at the bottom of the mail for a
> funny example), I would favor making that behavior configurable instead.
>
> GeoServer does not have an implementation of WFS 1.1.1, if someone is
> wiling to sponsor it GeoServer could have an implementation the "new" axis
> order rules there.
>

>> The other two notations were meant to follow the then being developed OGC
>> Axis Order policy which eventually provided clear policy guidance on how to
>> express and document axis order. The recommended option is to use the axis
>> order as defined in the EPSG CRS definition.  However, at the time WFS 1.1
>> was being processed the Axis Order policy and notation were still in flux.
>> Ultimately the URL and URN notations specified in the WFS 1.1 standard were
>> invalid.  This problem was, however, addressed in the WFS 1.1.1
>> corrigendum. Unfortunately, for some reason that corrigendum was never
>> published thereby increasing the WFS axis order confusion. This oversight
>> is being addressed by OGC staff.

> [...]

Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates

Mobile: 970-402-0284

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know
peace." Jimi Hendrix