[OSGeo-Standards] OGC vote on LAS 1.4 as a community standard

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:20:49 PST 2017

Hello Bruce,

I assume that your refer to the email exchanges that eventually led to this
open letter

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR_Format_Letter

No. These concerns are not addressed. The proposed adoption of the latest
LAS 1.4 specification does - imho - *nothing* to address what the open
letter was about. The OGC is merely taking the existing open, already
widely used, and uncompressed LAS 1.4 specification from the ASPRS [1] and
makes it a "community standard" of the OGC. This does *not* address the
concern about fragmentation of the compressed LiDAR via the introduction of
a proprietary "Optimized LAS" format by ESRI. Is it a "first step" ... ?
Maybe, but I do not see how this leads to a second step ... especially
given the opinion of the chair of the ASPRS LAS Working Group (see below).

[1] http://www.asprs.org/a/society/committees/standards/LAS_1_4_r13.pdf

There is complete lack of transparency and history keeping in the ASPRS LAS
Working Group (LWG) that defines the LAS format. I am a member of the LWG
and have repeatedly asked the chair to please follow the usual protocol of
a standardization body. Currently all final decisions are made by the chair
after a round of emails on which the 15 or so members are copied. Most of
these members never participate in any discussion. The history of
all decision making only exists in form of emails of the individual LWG
members. This somehow works well when the chair makes only wise decisions,
but fails when there is serious disagreement like in the "laser war of
2011" [2]. The LAS format is called an "ASPRS standard" which means little
given how the LWG works but makes it looks really "legit" to the public eye.

[2]
http://www.pobonline.com/articles/96260-proposed-las-1-4-spec-is-broken-says-lwg-member

I was hoping with the OGC giving the LAS 1.4 format its "stamp of approval"
the OGC would at least require some form of openness in the way the LAS
standard is maintained by asking the ASRPS to make the LWG operate more
like a proper standardization body. But that does not seem to be the case
as evidenced by the email of the LWG chair copied below. So I wonder ...
what is the point of making LAS 1.4 an "OGC community standard"? What does
it accomplish? How do you want me to vote?

Maybe Howard Butler - also a member of the LWG - should weigh in here.

Regards,

Martin