[OSGeo-Standards] OGC vote on LAS 1.4 as a community standard

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 20:08:25 PST 2017

Hello Scott,

The OGC Community standard is intended to be an endorsement of an existing,
> widely-used specification by a voluntary consensus-based standards
> organization.

Thanks for your response. The LAS format perfectly fits that description
for an "OGC Community standard" and I want to see it succeed, both in its
current form as well as in its future updates. But I would object strongly
to call the ASPRS working group that currently maintains it a
"consensus-based standards organization". It more like a "discord-based
format flight club" ... (-;

I was just looking back at a format suggestion that I had made to make the
storage of the GPS time stamps more future proof that somehow was not at
all considered for inclusion in the LAS 1.4 standard.

http://groups.google.com/d/msg/lasroom/s3-OR4LP1IE/Jv9JoIvPCwAJ

Why not? Because there are no proper working group protocol (other than
some never-ratified document written by the chair overnight after me
complaining that there was no protocol a few years back).

So I would hope that OGC will not only accept the current LAS 1.4 as a
community standard (and that is what I intend to vote for [assuming I can]
unless other OSGeo members who are represented by this vote are in vehement
disagreement) but that OGC will also encourage ASRPS to maintain this
"de-facto" standard in a more transparent manner in the future (in whatever
form such an encouragement can happen) ...

Regards from Singapore,

Martin