[OSGeo-Standards] OGC vote on LAS 1.4 as a community standard

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue Jan 31 09:38:29 PST 2017

Folks,

((I have a distinct feeling of old men fighting over history. Please
don't feel insulted, I am absolutely including myself in this category
and cannot suppress a grin... ))

Coming back to the original question: Earlier concerns regarding a
competing proprietary version of the LIDAR format are not being
addressed (opposed / fought off) by the OGC (which is neither a
political nor lobbying engine). The ballot for recommendation to approve
the new Community standard work item for LAS 1.4 is just that.
Recommendation to approve this standard.

Summarizing this thread:
1. It appears to be a good idea for OGC to brand ASPRS' LAS as a
community standard. It will not influence how the committee works. But
it does remind me a bit of the OSGeo incubation process [1]. OGC is
still defining how this may look like there.
2. Small communities sometimes produce great results and are often under
represented and under acknowledged. OGC tries to address this. Thanks
for this discussion.
3. Individuals sometimes do great work and are always under represented
and under acknowledged.

But the communities those folks work in do recognize them. Therefore in
my role as President Emeritus of OSGeo I want to thank Peter, Martin,
Carl, Bruce and Howard for their decade long support of all geospatial
openness. Keep it up.

I'd be interested in learning how the new "community standard" might
help to support the widespread use of the open LAS format version.

Best regard,
Arnulf

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator

http://metaspatial.net