[OSGeo-Standards] Spare OGC membership slot

Scott Serich sserich at opengeospatial.org
Tue Feb 19 00:52:46 PST 2019

Hi Jonathan (and anybody else listening). Something that might be attractive to providers of open-source offerings is the opportunity to participate in OGC testbeds and other initiatives. Any OGC member who's interested might consider the following:

1. Sign up as an Observer for the OGC Testbed-15 initiative to learn how they work.
2. Plan on submitting a bid in early 2020 to implement new offerings as part of OGC Testbed-16.
3. Selected bidders will become participants to receive cost-share funds to help offset the cost of developing testbed component implementations.
4. These participants will retain full control over the source code assets. All that must be delivered are interoperability demonstrations showing how the work helps advance the OGC standards baseline.

Under current testbed policies, OGC does not take possession of any of the developed source code. So in some sense, this is a roundabout way to get "paid" to develop open-source code. It's generally not sufficient funds to enable full cost recovery. But if the alternative is to receive no funding at all, this might present an attractive option.

Contact me or visit "https://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/initiatives/active" if you're interested in learning more. Full observer privileges are available to all OGC members (including the OSGeo slot).

Thanks.
-Scott

=====

Scott Serich, Ph.D., JD

Director, Innovation Programs, Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)

[ callto:+1%20%28703%29%20283-3432 | +1 (703) 283-3432 ]

[ mailto:sserich at opengeospatial.org | sserich at opengeospatial.org ]
Skype: scott.serich.ogc

The OGC: Making Location Count.

[ http://www.opengeospatial.org/ | www.opengeospatial.org ]