Adding persistent Geometry Data via Browser

Stephen Lime sdlime at COMCAST.NET
Thu Apr 28 01:37:49 EDT 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Nicolas Schmidt wrote:

> > Hi List.
> > I am evaluating UMN MapServer for an internet mapping project.
> > One customer requirement is the ability for a user to add points or
> > polygons to map by clicking on the map in his browser.
> > These points then need to be made persistent on the server side, for
> > later
> > display.
> > Can anybody tell me if thats feasible
> > - with standard functionality

The code exists to do this, you don't need to write C code...

> > - extra hacking requried

...however, you'll need to use MapScript to process the shapes from the
browser and write them to a user specific shapefile. You could then
reference that shapefile in calls to the CGI MapServer, or write the
whole thing using MapScript.

> > - not feasible at all?

It's feasible, but you'll have to do a bit of work. I'd check with
folks on the mailing list to see if someone already has built a
solution that they might be willing to share.

> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > Nicolas

Steve