TCMUG meeting this week - location and updates

Dale Trexel trex0003 at UMN.EDU
Sun Mar 20 15:29:52 EST 2005

This month's TCMUG meeting:

When:  Thursday, March 24th, from 5:00 PM to approximately 7:00 PM
Where: 203 Green Hall, St. Paul campus of the U. of Minnesota
Map:   http://onestop.umn.edu/Maps/GrnH/index.html
       (right under the water tower)

Parking: The closest lot is pay-per-hour (see map). There is free
on-street parking west of Cleveland Ave., but it is posted at one hour
only. Stay longer at your own risk.

Agenda: This month will be a demonstration of installing CGI MapServer
with basic functionality on a server running Fedora 3 Linux. I will
provide a basic box, and local experts will walk us through the
installation process. We'll have a video projector, so everyone can
see what's going on onscreen.

We are considering allowing other folks to bring their own computers
on which to install MapServer too, after the demonstration. This could
work if participants come with their own computers that already have
Linux installed and running properly. PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY IF
YOU WISH TO DO THIS so I can provide additional details.

Some folks have expressed interest in a Microsoft version of this
demonstration. This is a great idea, but too much to add to the
current agenda. At this week's meeting we can discuss the option of
doing a Microsoft installation some other time.

There is a class until 4:55 in 203 Green Hall Thursday night, so don't
come too early. We have the room reserved until 8:00 PM, so we can
stay later if needed. Many thanks to Perry for making the room
reservations!

-Dale Trexel