TCMUG Thoughts

Stephen Lime sdlime at COMCAST.NET
Wed Jan 18 22:21:18 EST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 1:31 PM, David Bitner wrote:

> > My time is dwindling quickly this month.  If anyone else wants to plan
> > a meeting for this month, please speak up, otherwise we should
> > definitely plan on meeting next month.  If anyone would like to grab a
> > drink still this month, I'm game.

I'm open most weeknights. I'm hoping Bob B. might do something more
technical around his city interface in the next month or so. Perhaps a
beer
and general discussion around foundations, FGDC grants and such is
more than enough- hardly a need for anything formal.

> > I did want to try to get some discussion about Users Groups going
> > before some of our folks head to Chicago to discuss the foundation.
> >
> > Personally, I would love to see this users group evolve to a users
> > group for all foundation projects (possibly with sub groups for
> > individual projects).  I would like to see regional groups like this
> > become a recognized part of the foundation rather than an ad-hoc group
> > of users who get together.

With MapServer being an integrating technology it certainly makes sense.
With a larger group it would only be natural for technology specific sub
groups to begin to form.  We need more warm bodies for that to happen
though.

> > Here are some of the roles that I could see the Users Group playing
> > for the foundation.
> >
> > -- Point of contact for trying to bring presentations to regional
> > conferences (ie GIS/LIS)
> >
> > -- Point of contact for speaking at schools etc.
> >
> > -- Potentially organizing events for things such as GIS day
> >
> > -- Maintain registry of Regional Professional Services related to
> > Foundation projects (possibly with a participation/sponsorship
> > requirement)
> >
> > What do other folks think about formalizing Users Groups?  Is this
> > something that we should lobby to include under the umbrella of the
> > foundation?  Are there other roles/responsibilities that you could see
> > a users group taking on?

I think those are all good ideas. I could see the group pseudo
sponsoring
speakers for the larger GIS community. That is, we arrange presentations
by folks in the Open Source community at places like the UMN for
example.

As for formalizing. I'm not sure what that means. Like officers
(president,
treasurer) with dues and such? An annual golf tournament? I don't know
if we're ready for that or not. I know the foundation, should it take
off, isn't.
  Not yet anyway.

I guess at the moment I'd settle for just getting a series of meeting
scheduled
out 6 months and then wait and see how the foundation talk settles
out...

> > Thoughts?  Comments?

I personally do appreciate your willingness to get out in front of this
group to keep it moving. Thanks.

Steve