MNDNR DOQ WMS?

Dale Trexel trex0003 at UMN.EDU
Sat Mar 4 19:45:57 EST 2006

Anyone out there use MN DNR's DOQ WMS service in one of their MapServer
applications? I had it working on a class project I developed over a
year ago, but it appears things have changed, and I can no longer get
things to work. I think I happened to stumble on the correct
configuration the first time, but now that things have changed, I'm not
so lucky in troubleshooting. Even a copy of a working layer definition
from a mapfile might be enough to get me started.

Here's the original layer definition I used:

LAYER
     NAME 'doq'
     TYPE RASTER
     STATUS OFF
     CONNECTION
"HTTP://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv43?map=DELI_WMS_MAPFILE&"
     CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
     MAXSCALE 100000
     METADATA
       "wms_srs" "EPSG:26915"
       "wms_name" "L370000050906"
       "wms_server_version" "1.1.1"
       "wms_formatlist" "image/gif, image/png, image/jpeg, image/wbmp"
       "wms_format" "image/gif"
       "wms_connectiontimeout" "30"
       #"wms_maxscale" "50"
       #"wms_latlonboundingbox" "183000 4.8024e+06 771000 5.4855e+06"
     END
   END

My map had been working with this layer definition, including the
commented out metadata parameters at the end. The DNR's data deli
provides a WMS GetCapabilities file here:

   http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/services.html

...which suggests that the first thing I need to change is CONNECTION to

   http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/wms?map=DELI_WMS_MAPFILE&

And here's the bit about DOQs in the XML file:

<Layer queryable="0" opaque="0" cascaded="0" noSubsets="0">
   <Name>L370000050906</Name>
   <Title>USGS Digital Orthophoto Quad (DOQ) - 3 meter</Title>
   <SRS>EPSG:26915</SRS>
   <LatLonBoundingBox minx="-97.3732" miny="43.3076" maxx="-89.2598"
maxy="49.5221" />
   <BoundingBox SRS="EPSG:26915" minx="183000" miny="4.8024e+06"
maxx="771000" maxy="5.4855e+06" />
   <ScaleHint min="0" max="49.8903" />
   </Layer>

I tried changing the CONNECTION, leaving the rest the same, since it
didn't appear anything else has changed, but no good. I keep getting the
following error message:

"msDrawMap(): WMS connection error. Failed to draw WMS layer named
'doq'. This most likely happened because the remote WMS server returned
an invalid image, and XML exception or another unexpected result in
response to the GetMap request. Also check and make sure that the
layer's connection URL is valid."

Can anyone tell me what is wrong from this information? Also, is there a
way of troubleshooting WMS errors so that I can get more details than
the above error message?

-Dale Trexel