Getting started with Mapserver

Cara Mico - Demeter Design cara at DEMETERDESIGN.NET
Wed Apr 11 17:45:24 EDT 2007

I currently have a dedicated server plan through Lunar Pages. I am
considering buying a server for my business office as I cannot figure out
how or where to upload the mapserver program remotely onto my dedicated
server. Lunar Pages isn't familiar with mapserver and aren't much help.
Additionally I must pay $75/hour to have them install the program from their
office. I can't really get a handle on where to start so before I purchase
an expensive server I would like a little feed back on the mapserver program.

I would like to use mapserver to post interactive web based maps. I am a
little familiar with code but by no means an expert. I would be purchasing a
linux OS with the server but I don't know how to upload shape files, or
where to put the program on the server.

Does the program go into a public html file, an ftp folder, or when you put
it into the root does it run when you enter code.

A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cara