Mapserver coordinates

Stephen Lime sdlime at COMCAST.NET
Thu Aug 23 10:36:16 EDT 2007

You can have data in two coordinate systems. Understanding PROJECTIONs
is
critical to make that work. You need one projection block in the main
map section
of a mapfile and another for each layer that is different.

For stitching MapServer can be of help. It's supports tiling of both
raster and vector
data. It's quite simple really. You have to create a shapefile called a
tileindex. Each
feature represents an image. The image bounding box is stored as a
polygon and
a column is used to store the location of the corresponding image
(default name
is LOCATION). I believe GDAL has a tile index creation program. That
is, you give
is a pile of images and it will build a shapefile that is usable by
MapServer.

IMHO that this list is really just a small (20 or so folks) list for
organizing local meetings
regarding MapServer of OSGeo. It is not generally a support list. You'd
be much better
off posting messages to the main mapserver-users mailing list. There
are thousands
of subscribers there.

Steve