[TCMUG] Re: Tcmug Digest, Vol 16, Issue 1

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri May 8 14:11:15 EDT 2009

All,

Hmmm, it seems like there are quite a few GeoMoose things people are interested in getting and giving as far as training.   Does it make any sense to have some sort of coordination meeting for all this stuff and apply a united front for the GIS/LIS presentations?

bobb

>>> Paul Wickman <pwickman at northstargeographics.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am doing a 1/2 day "Intro to QGIS" for the Spring Workshops in a few weeks.  If that goes over well that I'd like to do it again in fall, with a bit more advance topics.  It would be neat to have an exercise on exporting to MapServer, with the idea that folks can then learn how to "make it go" by attending the GeoMoose workshop.  I could also touch on PostGIS which might relate to another such workshop.

Thanks,

Paul Wickman
North Star Geographics
pwickman at northstargeographics.com
612.280.5850

Hi Everyone,

The GeoMOOSE group has been talking about submitting a proposal this year for a Beginner and Advance workshops.  We are curious if anyone else is planning to do a workshop on OSGeo projects?  Here is what we are thinking for two separate half day workshops.  Please feel free to give us some feedback.  I think the proposals are due next Friday.

1) Beginners... I want it to run in MS4W, I want to tweak the CSS to make the site my own, and I want to add/edit data and use the built in services. Mention PostGIS/QGIS. If we have a mapfile/mapbook editor/data loader by this time we should definitely show that... however, that looks like it's been pushed to 3.0. Of course there is nothing saying we won't have 3.0 out by then.

2) Experts.... I saw this last year and have been using it in production. I want to write services, I want to contribute to the code/docs, What's this OpenLayers stuff inside and how can i leverage that. I want to do cool stuff with PostGIS + custom services. Possibly a discussion w/the audience of what people are doing and what worked and what didn't. (Hey they are experts, they may know something we don't.) We could do a mini code sprint too... bring in your problems, and vote in the first 30 minutes... then code for the rest.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Fischer,

CFM

GIS Project Manager
Houston Engineering, Inc.
6901 East Fish Lake Road, Suite 140
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Phone: W: 763.493.4522 / M: 763.229.2734

Email:

bfischer at houstoneng.com

Website:

www.houstoneng.com