[TCMUG] Use OpenStreetMap for Landmarks?

neuhausr at bitstream.net neuhausr at bitstream.net
Thu Nov 5 22:46:42 EST 2009

I don't have answers to Matt's questions, but maybe others do:

One thing to check out if you haven't is the import of the GNIS data.  The
idea seems to be to keep the GNIS ID with each feature so that changes can
works.  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/USGS_GNIS

There was also some discussion in March on the OSM talk-us list about the
GNIS import--some of the same issues would likely come up in a local
dataset, plus there might be some folks to connect with who've been
thinking about them for a while.
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-March/

Also wondering what kind of landmarks this involves--are the landmarks a
dataset (or datasets) on datafinder?

Cheers,
Brad