[TCMUG] UM Extension Course on Community Mapping

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:49:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Fawcett, David (MPCA) <
David.Fawcett at state.mn.us> wrote:

> I saw a reference to this on All Points Blog.  There is a U of M Extension
> 'Community Mapping Project', sponsored by Navteq.  Apparently, they are
> getting people to go out and map their communities (Alexandria and Brainerd)
> and then submit the data to Navteq's database.
>
> Interesting model, they get people to come to a training, spend their time
> mapping their community, and then submit the data to a proprietary
> database...
>
> It would be nice if they at least submitted their data to OSM in
> parallel...

When I visited where2.0 earlier this month, both Navteq and ESRI started
talking about how they can parse OSM data. ESRI even had a huge poster of
OpenStreetMap data in their booth (with no attribution).

I'll see if I can contact the U of M folks...